Tuesday 8 October 2013

Teaching poor kids

Date: 4 September to 8 October 2013
Criteria of CAS – Service
Approximate time - 8 hours
Venue – D Y Patil International School, Nagpur

The one exclusive sign of thorough knowledge is the power of teaching.” – Aristotle

Our CAS coordinator introduced this activity to us, believing we can help our society. Teaching is a great service in itself, and educating poor children is one of the best thing you can for our society. We planned the activity with her, she divided us into groups and gave us responsibilities of different classes.

4 September 2014
I was very excited for this because this was my first teaching experience of my life. We welcomed the tiny tots by giving flowers to them. As today was the first class, I introduced myself and spoke to the children about their interest (just to get comfortable with them). I asked them what they have learnt till now. They didn’t even knew alphabets correctly. So I started with alphabets and gave them homework, to rewrite what we studied in today’s class. Today I gave 2 hours for this activity.





17 September 2014
I was happy that they did their homework. Today I taught them numbers. I was an amazing experience, watching these small kids learning and understanding everything so fast. I taught easiest application of numbers, counting things. I took few cubes and made them count the number of the cubes. We also showed them educational stories and explain them moral of the story. I am very committed to this job now. Today I gave 2 hours for this activity.



24 September 2014
I planned the activities for today. I wanted them to learn the most important factor of education, application. I started with the mathematcis, with help of cubes I taught them addition and subtraction. I gave few simple sums for homework. Today I gave 2 hours for this activity.



1 October 2014
Today I cleared the difficulties they in their homework. We taught them painting and craft. They painted with happiness and passion. They all made a hand print with paint. Today was a day of fun plus studies. Today I gave 2 hours for this activity.





8 October 2014
Today, I took their test on what I have been teaching, alphabets and numbers. My students were very much scared because of test. But they all scored good grades. After that I taught them simple words, like apple, ball, cat, dog etc. They learnt everything with ease. By this activity I have also learned something that talent can be found anywhere. If these kids get educated, they can become great personalities. Everything is about resources, I am thankful to school for giving us this opportunity to do such great work. Teaching is a new skill I have developed. I hope I will continue teaching these kids and help them become good human beings.  This was a new challenge I undertook. Today I gave 2 hours for activity and completed 8 hours.




No comments:

Post a Comment